Configure Microsoft Outlook for Gmail
Do you want to configure Microsoft outlook for Gmail? If yes, then, you are on right post. This article shows you, how to configure Microsoft outlook for Gmail account?
You must be getting troubles every day to access email on the web. I am sure, in solution, you want to configure your web email to Microsoft office outlook application, so you can access your email online or offline anytime.
If you are reading this article, you must be a student, home user, freelancer or business owner/employee who does email communication on a daily basis.
Now a day, an email address seems mandate for everyone in this digital world. All of us need an email address for each any everything (like; any registration, sign-ups, businesses, etc.). You can communicate with someone who is sittings in a different part of the world by sending or receiving an Email.
What is Microsoft Outlook?
To clarify, Office outlook is one of the components of the office suite family along with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, OneNote, Publisher, etc.
That means, you should have installed a registered version of Microsoft office in order to configure your email address in it.
Don’t you have full version of Microsoft Office? Don’t worry, click here and get it
Difference Between POP and IMAP Configuration
There are two different protocols to configure your web mail to Microsoft outlook.
- IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol)
- POP (Post Office Protocol)
IMAP: The most important difference is that IMAP always connected and syncs with web mail server.
That means, if you make any changes in configured mail clients (like; Outlook) will do immediate effect to your web mail server (example: if you delete any email from outlook, will be deleted from mail server)
POP: Once a mail client configured with POP settings, everything will be downloaded to your mail client (outlook) and your web mail server will be blank/empty (there are few settings that can allow you to keep email in both places).
If you will make any changes to web mail server will not shows to your mail client.
Allow Settings from Gmail Account
Most importantly, before we configure outlook for Gmail we need to allow the Gmail server to forward your mails to clients app (outlook). Follow below steps:
Step 1. Launch Gmail login page and sign in with your current username and password.
- First, go to POP Download option and select Enable POP for all mail (even mail that’s already been downloaded)
- Then, just below, Enable IMAP and click on Save Changes button given below.
Are you going to configure Gmail for the first time? If yes, in addition, make sure you must have enabled less secure app access option from Google account settings.
If you have not installed Microsoft Office so far, you should download and install any of the below version to configure Microsoft outlook for Gmail:
- Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise
- Microsoft Office 2010 Pro Plus
- Download Microsoft Office Pro 2016
- Download Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2019
How to Setup Gmail in Microsoft Outlook?
Now for example, this post shows you to configure outlook for Gmail with IMAP setting only. Not mandate but we recommend you to configure by using IMAP settings.
If you want to configure with POP settings, click here to see the instructions for POP.
Step 1. Launch Microsoft Outlook. If you are opening this first time, then, you will be on the screen where it may ask you to select a protocol for configuration. Select IMAP to configure.
Step 2. You will see Add Account Window with two options (E-mail Account & Manual setup or additional server types).
Select the radio button of Manual setup or additional server types and click Next button given below.
- Fill your details i.e; Name & Email address
- Account Type should be selected as IMAP.
- Incoming mail server: imap.gmail.com
- Outgoing mail server (IMAP): smtp.gmail.com.
- Once done, click on More Settings ….
- Go to Outgoing Server Tab
- Check the box My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.
- Then, go to Advanced Tab and set the details as Incoming server (IMAP): 993 with SSL and Outgoing server (SMTP): 465 with SSL.
- Click OK button once done and you will be on the previous screen.
Click on Close button to continue.
Click Finish to close the screen. Finally, you have successfully configured Microsoft outlook for your Gmail now.
Note: You must have received a Test Email to your inbox.