About Skype Desktop App
Skype, you must have heard about. If you are on the internet, Skype is a very good option to make audio & video calls, individual & group chats over the internet to any country and region. By using Skype App, you can interact with their family members; those are living far from them. Many office users also use Skype App for professional use to make conference calls and individual & group chats. You just need a good Internet Connection and a computer with a webcam. Skype is available for MAC & Windows along with Android and iOS devices as well. One thing that you have noticed, that is annoying Skype auto updates and must be looking the way to disable Skype auto updates.
The following steps will work on Windows 7. 8.1 and Windows 10. You need Administrator rights to get this done.
Steps to Disable Skype Auto Updates Permanently
In this article I will show you the steps by which you can disable Skype auto updates permanently on a Windows computer. Keep following the steps exactly as shown below. Do not skip any step otherwise Skype auto update won’t work permanently. Follow the steps given below:
Step 1. Open Skype desktop app in Windows. Sign-in with your Skype ID and password.
Step 2. Navigate to the Tools Menu and select “Options”.
Step 3. All of the Skype options will appear on your screen. From the left pane, select “Advanced”.
Step 4. Under Advanced, select “Automatic updates” then, go to the right side and click on the button “Turn off automatic updates”. Finally, click on “Save” button given right bottom.
Important: “Automatic updates” option has been removed from Skype version 7.41 or later. If you wish, you can download Skype version 7.40 by the end of this article. You may try rest of the options given below.
Many tutorial ends here, but this is not by which you can permanently disable Skype auto updates. There are a few more steps need to done. Follow the rest of the steps given below:
Note: Now, for further steps we need to stop the running Skype. Sign-out Skype desktop app, then, quit from the notification area. Check the image below:
- Now, open command prompt as administrator. Go to Windows Search, type “cmd”. It will show you the search result, right-click on “Command Prompt” and select “Run as administrator”.
- The command prompt will open on your screen. Type, sc delete SkypeUpdate and hit Enter from your keyboard. On the next line, you will see the message of SUCCESS. Close command prompt screen.
- Press “Win + R” to open Run dialog box. Once open, type %temp% and hit OK. This will open the Windows Temp folder for you.
- Locate “SkypeSetup.exe” and use hotkeys “Shift + delete” to delete this file permanently from your machine. Then, close Windows Temp Folder.
Finalize The Steps to Disable Skype Auto Updates Permanently with Registry Editor
Now the most important part comes here. We have to add registry value in order to prevent Skype to check version updates. Before we make changes in Windows registry, we highly recommend you to back up your registry. To open Registry Editor, press “Win + R” to open Run dialog box and type, “regedit” and hit OK button.
1) Once Registry Editor open, follow the given path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies. Then, right-click on “Policies” and select New -> Key -> type Skype on it and hit enter. By doing this, Skype is added under Policies.
2) Now, right-click on created Skype and select New -> Key -> type Phone on it and hit enter. By doing this, Phone is added under Skype.
3) While Phone key is selected, go to the right side and right-click anywhere and go to New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value. A new string is added with name “New Value #1”.
4) Right-click on New Value #1 and rename to DisableVersionCheck
5) Now double click on DisableVersionCheck and change Value data: from 0 to 1 and click OK to close. Then, you can close Registry Editor.
Finally; you just need to restart your Windows computer once so all the settings we have made will be in effect. Once your computer has rebooted and come back, launch Skype desktop app and sign-in with your username and password. By doing all the settings we have permanently disabled Skype auto update settings. So, whenever you want to use the new version of Skype app, you need to download it from Skype website and install it to your Windows PC. This is the way you can disable Skype auto updates.
As you aware, “Automatic updates” option has been removed from Skype version 7.41 or later. Many user’s are looking but don’t find the right place to download the Skype version 7.40. Hereby, you can click below download button and download Skype version 7.40: