Creating a shortcut to shutdown your computer on your desktop screen is a very good utility. Many times users forgot to turn off their computer or maybe sometimes they are in a hurry and couldn’t shut down the computer. In such kind of cases, you can create shutdown shortcut to your computer, wherein you just need to do a single click and within few seconds of time your computer will be turned off completely. The below steps shows you that how to create shutdown shortcut in a Windows computer (laptop & desktop).
NOTE: Steps given below will work with Windows 7, 8.1 and Windows 10.
Create Shutdown Shortcut
Step 1. Right-click anywhere on Desktop screen where you can see an empty space, move your mouse cursor to “New”, and select “Shortcut”.
Step 2. A dialog box will be prompted on your screen. Type the following code or copy that and paste it to blank dialog box. Then, click Next button.
Step 3. Type a desired name for the shortcut in the “Type a name for this Shortcut” textbox. Example: “Shutdown PC” as mine in below image. Then, click on Finish.
By doing the above steps, you have successfully created a Shut Down shortcut to your desktop screen. Now, if you wish, you can assign an Icon to this Shortcut as given in below steps:
- Right-click on created Shut down shortcut and select Properties.
- Once shortcut properties will open, go to “Shortcut” Tab and select “Change Icon”.
- Select an Icon from the list of available icons and press “OK”.
- Press “OK” again to close the shortcut properties.
- Now you can see, “Shutdown PC” shortcut has created on desktop screen as shown in below image:
Finally, you just need to double click on this icon and your computer will be turning off immediately.