Share Files between Mac and Windows
The article is very important to you if you are using both MacOS and Windows PC all together for different sort of tasks and wanted to know how to share files between Mac and Windows PC for an easy access to your data.
Follow this post without skipping any step and you will get to know how easily you can share files between Mac to Windows or Windows to Mac.
Both machines (Mac and Windows) have different operating systems installed in it. So, it is bit difficult (not that much) to transfer files and folders between a Mac and a Windows PC.
How to Transfer Files and Folders between Mac and Windows or vice versa?
This can be done easily in 5 phases:
- Setup File Sharing on MacOS
- Turn on File Sharing on Windows PC
- Create a Share Folder on your Windows PC
- Find your Windows Computer IP Address
- Connect to Windows Computer from your Mac via SMB
Note: In order to share files between Mac and Windows, both computes must be connected to the same network.
For instance, in this tutorial, we are using below devices and their versions, but it should work with other versions too.
- MacBook Air M1 with macOS Monterey Version 12.3.1
- HP Notebook 360, Windows 10 Home Version 21H2 (OS build 19044.1645)
Enable File Sharing Option on MacOS
- Navigate to the top left corner and click on Apple logo and click System Preferences… from the drop-down list.
- Find the option Sharing and click on it
- From the left panel, tick the check-box of File Sharing and click Options… in the right side
- In this window, tick mark the check-box of “Share files and folders using SMB” and select the account name from the list for “Windows file sharing” and click on Done
Note: The above step may require your Mac login password.
Turn on File Sharing on Windows PC
To turn on file sharing from your Windows PC, follow below:
- Press keyboard combination Win + I to launch Windows Settings App
- Click on Network & Internet
- Click on Network and Sharing Center
- Select Advanced Sharing settings
- In here, make sure Turn on network discovery radio button is selected and Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices is checked
In addition, File and printer sharing should be turned on
The steps above have successfully turned-on network sharing from a Windows PC and now can accessible in the network.
Create a Share Folder on your Windows
Now it’s time to create a folder that you want to share from your Windows which can be accessible from Mac machine.
For example, we have created a folder on Windows desktop screen and named it to “Win 2 Mac”. You can create yours or follow below steps if have existing folder.
- Right-click on the folder and select Properties
- Navigate on “Sharing” menu and click “Advanced Sharing…” option
- Check the box of “Share this folder” and then, click on Permissions
- Allow “Full Control” by tick mark the check box
- Apply and OK along with all previous opened screens in reverse order from permissions to folder properties
By doing above steps, we have successfully allowed permissions to the shared folder.
Find Your Windows Computer IP Address
What is my IP address? You must be thinking or wanted to know your Windows IP address here.
There are multiple ways to find out the system IP address easily within the Windows OS. Follow below link and get Windows your IP to proceed to next step.
Connect to Windows Computer from your Mac via SMB Option
Finally, the last step is connecting to the Windows machine from the MacBook.
Go to the Finder, navigate to Go Menu and click on Connect to Server… or you can use keyboard shortcut command + K while on your desktop screen
Type your Windows machine IP address in Server Address and click Connect. For an example: smb://192.168.000.000
You will see a login screen with options to connect as a Guest or a Registered user.
- Select registered user
- Type your Windows machine user name and password
- If you want, tick mark the check-box of “Remember this password in my keychain”
- Click Connect
Once you click connect button, this may take few seconds after that. So, be patience while doing this and you will have couple of options to connect like: Users or folder name that you created or shared from your Windows
Make your choice, select and click OK button
Here we go, now you will have Windows shared files or folders on your MacBook screen.
You can drop any file or folder from your MacBook to Windows shared folder and it can be accessed on Windows PC OR you can drop any file or folder from your Windows in its shared folder and that can be accessed from MacOS
So, this is an easy file and folder sharing option over the same network if you are using both Windows and MacBook computers.Share Files and Folders between MacOS and a Windows Click To Tweet
Hopefully, now you are able to share files between your mac and windows. If have any query, drop your message on comment box below.