Share Files between Mac and Windows
The article is very important to you if you are using both MacOS and Windows PC all together for different tasks and wanted to know how to share files between Mac and Windows PC for easy access to your data.
Follow this post without skipping any steps and you will get to know how easily you can share files between Mac to Windows or Windows to Mac.
Both machines (Mac and Windows) have different operating systems installed in it. So, it is bit difficult (not that much) to transfer files and folders between a Mac and a Windows PC.
How do I Transfer Files and Folders between Mac and Windows or vice versa?
This can be done easily in 5 phases:
- Setup File Sharing on MacOS
- Turn on File Sharing on Windows PC
- Create a Share Folder on your Windows PC
- Find your Windows Computer IP Address
- Connect to a Windows Computer from your Mac via SMB
Note: In order to share files between Mac and Windows, both computers must be connected to the same network.
For instance, in this tutorial, we are using the below devices and their versions, but it should work with other versions too.
- MacBook Air M1 with macOS Monterey Version 12.3.1
- HP Notebook 360, Windows 10 Home Version 21H2 (OS build 19044.1645)
Enable File Sharing Options on MacOS
- Navigate to the top left corner and click on the Apple logo and click System Preferences… from the drop-down list.
- Find the option Sharing and click on it
- From the left panel, tick the check box of File Sharing and click Options… on the right side
- In this window, tick mark the check-box of “Share files and folders using SMB” and select the account name from the list for “Windows file sharing” and click on Done
Note: The above steps may require your Mac login password.
Turn on File Sharing on Windows PC
To turn on file sharing from your Windows PC, follow below:
- Press the keyboard combination Win + I to launch the Windows Settings App.
- Click on Network & Internet
- Click on Network and Sharing Center
- Select Advanced Sharing settings
- Here, make sure the Turn on network discovery radio button is selected and Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices is checked
Also, File and printer sharing should be turned on
The steps above have successfully turned-on network sharing from a Windows PC and can now be accessible on the network.
Create a Share Folder on your Windows
Now it’s time to create a folder that you want to share from your Windows which can be accessible from a Mac machine.
For example, we have created a folder on a Windows desktop screen and named it to “Win 2 Mac”. You can create your own or follow the steps below if you already have an existing folder.
- Right-click on the folder and select Properties
- Navigate on “Sharing” menu and click “Advanced Sharing…” option
- Check the box of “Share this folder” and then, click on Permissions
- Allow “Full Control” by tick mark the check box
- Apply and OK along with all previously opened screens in reverse order from permissions to folder properties
By doing the above steps, we have successfully granted permissions to the shared folder.
Find Your Windows Computer IP Address
What is my IP address? You must be thinking or wanting to know your Windows IP address here.
There are multiple ways to easily locate the system IP address within Windows OS. Follow the link below to get your Windows IP and proceed to the next step.
Connect to Windows Computer from your Mac via SMB Option
Finally, the last step is connecting to the Windows machine from the MacBook.
Go to the Finder, navigate to the Go Menu and click on Connect to Server… or you can use the keyboard shortcut command + K while on your desktop screen
Type your Windows machine IP address in Server Address and click Connect. For an example: smb://192.168.000.000
You will see a login screen with options to connect as a Guest or a Registered user.
- Select Registered User
- Type in your Windows machine user name and password
- If you want, tick mark the check-box of “Remember this password in my keychain”
- Click Connect
Once you click the connect button, this may take a few seconds after that. So, be patience while doing this and you will have a couple of options to connect like: Users or folder name that you created or shared from your Windows
Make your choice, select and click OK button
Here we go, you will now have Windows shared files and folders on your MacBook screen.
You can drop any file or folder from your MacBook to Windows shared folder and it can be accessed on Windows PC OR you can drop any file or folder from your Windows in its shared folder and that can be accessed from MacOS
This is an easy file and folder sharing option over the same network if you are using both Windows and MacBook computers.Share Files and Folders between MacOS and a Windows Click To Tweet
Hopefully, you are now able to share files between your Mac and Windows. If you have any query, drop your message in the comment box below.