Windows 10 Password Reveal Button
On the Windows 10 sign-in screen, many users do not like the password reveal button option. So the question is, do we have an option to turn off, disable or remove the password reveal button from the Windows 10 login screen?
Yes, of course, we can remove it.
You may notice that whenever you type in your password on the Windows 10 login screen, a fermata eye icon (password reveal button) appears just beside your typed password.
In which, if you press and hold the fermata eye icon that will show the exact password you typed and verify if you typed it correctly (check screenshot below).
The following are mandates in order to disable the password reveal option. If you see that the below requirements have been fulfilled, then follow the steps below:
- You must be signed in as an Administrator account to get this done.
- To complete the steps below, you will need to access Local Group Policies.
Local Group Polices are available only in Windows 8 & 8.1 Pro and Enterprise editions and in Windows 10, will only be available in Pro, Enterprise and Education editions.
So before you start, make sure what version of Windows you are using.
[Read: Enable Group Policy Editor in Windows 10 Home or Starter]
Remove Password Reveal Button
Step 1. Open Local Group Policy Editor.
- To open this, press Win + R, a Run command dialog box will open on your screen.
- Type gpedit.msc and press the OK button.
Step 2. Once the Local Group Policy Editor comes up, from the left pane of the dialog box:
- Locate Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components
- Select Credential User Interface.
Step 3. On the right side of this window, right-click on the Do not display the password reveal button and select Edit.
Step 4. A dialog box will appear on the screen.
- Select Enabled – do not display the password reveal button on the sign-on screen
- Then click Apply and OK to close the Local Group Policy Editor
NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting in this window.
That is all you need to do. All of the above settings will have immediate effect so you do not even need to log off or reboot your computer.
Now you can lock your computer (press Win + L) and check if there will be no password reveal icon on it while typing your password.
Remove Password Reveal Button from Windows 10 Login Screen Click To Tweet