Check Drive Type in Windows OS
Although, this article is written specifically to identify the media drive type. In other words, how to check drive type in Windows operating system.
Drive type means that your system is using HDD (Hard disk drive) or SSD (Solid-state drive). We cannot think for a computer without a storage drive.
HDD or SSD is basically a storage drive, which is one of the major parts of computer components. It plays an important role in your desktop or in a laptop.
[Read: Major Computer Components with Images and their Functions]
A computer machine requires a space where an operating system can be installed.
The operating system can be any like Windows, MacOS, Linux, etc. They all need a storage.
Once the operating system is installed, you can access a number of features of it. Along with, you can save your files and folders, videos and music files, documents, etc. into the storage drive which is a hard drive.
Difference Between HDD and SSD
To clarify what HDD and SSD is? You should know what is the difference between HDD and SSD before you get to know your system drive type:
HDD – A hard disk drive is a physical component of computer assembly and a storage drive, also known as hard disk or hard drive. It is directly connected to the Motherboard using cables such as ATA (Advanced Technology Attachment) or SATA (serial AT attachment)
Hard disk contains platters inside it with an air sealed casing. It has a magnetic head, which keep moving rapidly and data is written to the platters using a magnetic head.
SSD – A Solid-state drive is also a storage drive such as HDD. It is small in size, uses chips and has no moving platters or elements.
This provides an advantage, which makes it faster, low power consumption, reliability and noiseless function. SSD also uses SATA cable to connect directly to the system motherboard.
How to Find If Your Drive is HDD or SSD?
Here are the four different methods by which you can easily check whether your drive type is HDD or SSD:
Method 1. Using Disk Defragmenter
- Press Keyboard combination Win + R to open Run Dialog box
- Type dfrgui and hit Enter button or click OK. This will launch Optimize Drives window
- Under Status, check Media type is Hard disk drive or Solid-state drive
In my case, its Hard disk drive. Check below image:
Method 2. By Using System Information Tool
- Press Win + R to open Run Dialog box
- Type msinfo32 and hit Enter or click OK
- In system Information utility window, navigate to Components –> Storage –> Disks
- From the right pane, look for Media Type. In my case, it is shown as Fixed hard drive.
Fixed hard drive means HDD (Hard disk drive)
Method 3. By using Windows PowerShell
- Go to Windows Search and type, PowerShell
- Right-click and select Run as administrator
- Type or copy and paste below command to the PowerShell. Then, hit Enter and wait for the result.
- Check for Media Type to check drive type of your system. In my case, it’s the HDD.
Method 4. From Windows Task Manager
- Open your Windows Task Manager
- Click on Performance tab
- Select Disk from the left pane
Check disk information from the right and you will find the drive type of your system and related information.
[Read: Open Windows Task Manager with 9 Different Ways]
Hence, all above are the very easy methods to check what drive you have on your Windows computer. Any of above method will help you to determine the type of your hard drive is HDD or SSD.
For any query or feedback, comment below.Find if Your Drive is HDD or SSD in Windows Click To Tweet
2 thoughts on “Check Drive Type in Windows. Is it HDD or SSD?”
your vlogs always helpful for me . thanks sandeep
Thank you for your valuable comment 🙂