About Windows Taskbar
The Windows taskbar is a fraction and has many purposes in a Windows PC. By default, it is located in the bottom of your computer screen until you change taskbar location to the right, left or on the top of the screen.
A taskbar contains Windows start menu, icons of all pined & currently open files, folders & application along with notification area on the right side. The taskbar is a quick access that allows users to switch or open between programs or windows application. Microsoft introduced the taskbar in Windows 95.
Check out the transformation of Windows Taskbar according to the Windows operating system (Windows 95, XP, 7, 8.1 & 10) in below image:
Many users do not know that Windows taskbar can be set at any edge or your computer screen. By default, the taskbar is set on bottom edge. But you can change taskbar location to the left, right or top edge of the screen.
Hereby, will show you two (2) different methods by which you can change your taskbar location easily.
Method 1 – From Taskbar and Start Menu Properties
Step 1. Right-click on unused or free space on the Windows taskbar and select “Properties” and this will bring up “Taskbar and start menu properties” for you.
Step 2. Now under “Taskbar” tab, you have an option of “Taskbar location on screen:” with drop-down selection of bottom, left, right & top. Make your selection and click on “Apply” and “OK”
The above command will take immediate effect and your taskbar location will be changed to your selected location.
For Windows 10 Users
- Right-click on free space on taskbar and select “Taskbar settings”.
- It will directly open up the page where you will see an option of “Taskbar location on screen” with drop-down list of bottom, left, right & top.
- Choose your desired location and it will move there right away.
Method 2 – Move Taskbar by Drag and Drop
This method is quite easy to change taskbar location on any Windows PC. Follow below steps:
- Right-click on blank portion (free space) of taskbar
- If checked, uncheck “Lock the taskbar”. Then, the taskbar is free to move
- Now, left click on taskbar with your mouse and hold it, then, drag the taskbar to anywhere on the screen where you want to set it.
- Lock the taskbar by right-click and check “lock the taskbar”