Take a Screenshot on a MacBook
This article covers the topic of how to take a screenshot on a MacBook with the built-in macOS application and with key combinations.
There are many scenarios wherein we need to take an immediate screenshot of an important page before it disappears from the screen or if you want to capture a specific portion of a page or a screen.
Taking a screenshot on MacBooks is a bit different from Windows laptops and desktops. If you are not aware, further in one of our previous articles, we explained the step-by-step procedure for Windows as well.
To learn how to take a screenshot on a Windows OS version, follow the link below:
How can I capture the screen on a MacBook?
There are a few ways that can help you take a screenshot on your macOS using keyboard key combinations as well as using a built-in application.
We are going to tell you all the ways to capture your Mac screen with ease.
Note: The following steps shown in this article are done in the latest version of macOS Ventura (13.1), however the given procedure will work with earlier versions of macOS too.
How to Screenshot a Mac Full Screen?
To screenshot the full screen on your Mac with a key combination, follow the steps below:
- Open the screen/page/window that you want to screenshot
- Use combination: shift + command + 3
- You will notice an image of your screenshot that will appear in the bottom right corner of the screen with a sound
- Click to open it and see it or else it will save to the default saving location
How to Capture a Part of the Mac Screen?
Instead of capturing a full screen, if you want to screenshot just part of the screen or a particular portion, follow the steps below:
- Make sure the page is open on your screen that you want to grab
- Use combination: Shift + command + 4
- As a result, you will notice that the Mouse cursor has changed to a crosshair icon which means you are now ready for the mouse drag option.
- Drag to the portion using your mouse’s left click and leave the mouse click when you are done
- A captured image will appear in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Click on it to see
How to Screenshot Using the Built-in Mac Application?
Step 1. To launch the built-in screenshot app on Mac, press and hold shift + command + 5
Step 2. You will see screenshot app that will appear on your screen (example image below). Click and choose the option to take a screenshot
How to Capture a Single Window Screen on MacBooks?
For example, assuming that you have already connected your MacBook to an external screen or multiple screens and you wanted to screenshot another monitor screen?
Sure, yes there is an option to do this task. Follow the key combinations below on your mac keyboard
shift + command + 4 + spacebar
- The moment you use the above key combination, your cursor will turn into a camera icon.
- Move the camera icon to the window that you want to capture
- Finally, just click on it and the screenshot will be captured
Where Are My Screenshots Saved?
By default, macOS saves all screenshots to the following location:
Finder > Documents > Screenshots
Hope you find this article useful. If you have any questions, drop a comment below 👇👇How to Take a Screenshot on MacBooks? Click To Tweet